So… for Christmas, my friend’s aunt made some rum cookies, and she left half a bottle of white rum in the fridge. My friend told me that she didn’t know what to do with it. Fast forward. A few days before Valentine’s Day, the wheels started spinning in this single person’s head. I found myself searching online for answers to the questions, “How long does an open bottle of rum last in the refrigerator?” “Does rum go bad?” and “Is rum vegan?” LOL. Needless to say, I found the answers I needed in order to give myself a Valentine’s Day treat 🙂
It turns out that it is very difficult for opened rum to go “bad” if it is kept refrigerated. It can last many years actually. So, I wasn’t too bothered by using rum that had been opened for a couple of months. In other news, almost all rum is vegan. If you suspect that you have some rum that is not vegan, just do an internet search on that brand like I did. Now, here’s what I decided to do with my good, vegan rum.
I made a LARGE batch of piña coladas!! FOR THE RECORD- I did not drink all of this by myself!! I made this with the intention of sharing with some friends and freezing the rest for later. Just know that if you do make the full recipe listed here, you really should share it 🙂 This tastes better with every sip!
So let’s get you started! This is super easy. You just need a very few ingredients and a large capacity blender.
Piña Coladas (large batch!)
- 1 15 oz. can of pure coconut cream (NOT “cream of coconut”)
- 35 oz (total) of canned pineapple (You can use either crushed or chunks.)
- Half of a bottle of rum (white or dark- use what you have)
- ⅓ cup plus 1 tbsp. sugar (I used coconut sugar, but you can use vegan white sugar)
- 3 tbsp. unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup of lime juice (about 8 limes)
- 3 cups of ice
- Optional garnishes: slices of lime, maraschino cherries, pineapple chunks, tiny umbrellas
- Add the coconut cream, canned pineapple, rum, sugar, coconut flakes, and lime juice to your large capacity blender. Blend until liquid (30 seconds to 1 minute for a high powered blender)
- Then add the ice and blend again until you have a slushy drink.
- Garnish with slices of lime, maraschino cherries, pineapple chunks, and tiny umbrellas if you want.
- Enjoy the heck out of it!